Tuesday 3 July 2012

Featuring... The Sherbet Patch

Wow, do I have another talented crafter for you today…. The “Sherbet Patch” is someone I came across on the good old Book of Face.  I just love her creations and can see one of them winging their way to someone this Christmas, either that or I will just be treating myself!

So, drum roll please……  Here is “The Sherbet Patch”…..


Water Lily Wishes interview


Q.  Let’s start with a little bit about you…

Hello!  My name is Sarah, and my craft site is called ‘’The Sherbet Patch,’’ The Sherbet Patch sells quirky, handmade fabric items, with a definite leaning towards owls.

I have always been interested in textile design and crafts, and one of my earliest crafting memories is making mini dolls, by stuffing old nylon tights with bits of rag. My grandma was a painter, a sewer and an embroiderer and my mum was a keen knitter for as long as I can remember,  

I studied textile design in the 80’s at Horsham School of Art, but was never as focused as I should have been. I was distracted by dreams of travel and took a year out, where I fell in love with Kibbutz and Israel, and never continued on to university. 

Over the past 25 years I have continually dabbled with various crafts, both as a hobby and selling through local craft fairs. However, it wasn’t until last year that circumstances intervened and what used to be a ‘’hobby job’’ has become my primary source of income; I love what I do.  I miss the guaranteed paycheque at the end of each month, but my quality of life is better.


Q.  Your fabric items are adorable, I especially love the owl cushion and that they all have their own character.  How do you name them and where do you get your inspiration from?

Thank you! The owl cushion was the first item I designed for The Sherbet Patch.  My very first owl remains nameless to this day, but has pride of place on a chair in my front room.  He has paisley wings on a fleecy body and will be named Hector from this day forth.

I started naming the owls a few months ago, as each one has a different character depending on the fabric used.  I think of the owls as quite retro in design, with a 70’s influence. I was inspired by a 1970’s floral Humpty~Dumpty that my mum made me.

To compliment the retro feel I went for old fashioned, traditional names, like Humphrey and Douglas. Many of the floral owls have a vintage feel to them, so I took inspiration from traditional flowers and herbs, such as Basil, Petunia and Blossom.


Q.  Can you describe your typical working day?

My typical working day....

On a typical working day I would get up at 8.30am and work through the morning. I use the afternoon to catch up on day to day activities, then start sewing again in the evening.  I have been known to work through till daylight if I get carried away, but I’m trying to curb that habit as I make mistakes.

Working from home is something I have struggled with. It is very difficult to have structure when I am distracted by the kettle, the computer, the television. It is too easy to stay too long in bed when there is no need for an alarm clock.  I struggled with defining the boundaries between work and home, still do, but I am improving.


Q.  And what’s your favourite item you’ve made so far?

My favourite item is constantly changing, but my current favourite is Amaryllis, (pictured below).  Amaryllis is an owl cushion made using a vibrant, Amy Butler print fabric called ‘’Disco Flowers’’ that I fell instantly in love with. I think she has a very 70’s feel to her.

 
The Sherbet Patch


Q.  If someone was starting out in the craft business world, what piece of advice would you give them?

Never underestimate the cost of making an item. It is very easy to underestimate the real cost of craft items, particularly when you factor in postage, packing, etc.


Q.  How can people get in touch with you?

Twitter@eves_sarah
Phone – 01792 390014


Q.  Other than textiles, are there any other crafts you dabble in or would love to have a go at?

Mosaics.  I used to mosaic mirrors for the garden, and paving slabs with old china.      There is something very satisfying about taking a hammer to a pillowcase of china. Teapot lids look particularly good as the focal point in a paisley.


Q.  So, time for the random question…. What would be your dream holiday?

Looking out at the rainy welsh drought, I would say anywhere hot!  I have always wanted to go to India. I love photography, and the vibrancy, the colours, the contrast between dusty, crowded cities and rural villages appeals to me.


Q.  And finally, what does 2012 hold for you? 

2012. I am hoping to have a website up and running, to continue to develop “The Sherbet Patch” and maybe – just maybe – a holiday!


Thank you so much, it has been a pleasure hearing a bit about the world of “The Sherbet Patch” (great name by the way!) and I hope you get to go on holiday soon!

I think you should all pop over to The Sherbet Patch’s Facebook page and say hello and have a look at the other creations, remember to say where you were sent from!

Until next time…

Amanda x

No comments:

Post a Comment